Welcome to my blog!

Blog Post #4

My existing PLN in university contains different educational topics and diverse students from various racial, ages, and countries. For instance, my friends come from Canada, China, India, Mexico, and America; we interact and share knowledge within the same topic, which may arouse new conceptual understanding thoughts. Hence, when constructing a personal learning network, I think one crucial element should be diversity. As we all students, who may keep learning in a long time frame, opinion diversity will cause more consensus and arguments. The learning environment of each people will bring various ideas, promoting more scholarly communication. I prefer to engage in a wide range of topics and listen to others’ comments or opinions, and I believe this behaviour could expand my view and my PLN.

When discussing inclusion, we do not package people together with the same language, age, or race. Shelley stated that the year of birth is the only thing students were in common. I think how we define the word ‘inclusion’ leads to how diverse is our PLN. Inclusion represents diversity in terms of education; it collects meaningful voices to strengthen education. We can not deny the variety, as it is part of our life. Each individual is unique or diverse. For students, we can interact more in society. People are welcomed to start with their strengths, based on voluntary mechanism, to communicate and share within the group. 

After watching the video, I think inclusion contains diverse, meaningful voice, people, and topics. Education evolution starts with an exclusion, then segregation, integration, until inclusion, and represents how we interact with other people. If we accept diverse voices, we are successful in today’s educational evolution. We progress because we can hear others’ opinions. We attempt to adopt meaningful various to broaden our view and PLN, which is advantageous to education.

Reference:

Moore, Shelley. One Without the Other : Stories of Unity Through Diversity and Inclusion, Portage & Main Press, 2017. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=4832579.

Questions:

* How diverse is your existing PLN?

* In your PLN, are you learning from a variety of voices or are you the loudest in the room?

* Do you participate in a silo of information sharing (similar themes or wide-range of interests)?

* How can you use a diverse PLN to broaden your views of inclusion?

* In your professional setting of choice, do you think inclusion is actively embraced?

* What is the learning outcome of your PLN and how are you ensuring your exposure to diversity and inclusion?

* How has your thinking about inclusion and PLN evolved after reviewing the videos and readings?

1. akk12

Hi,

Thank you for your post!
    I really appreciate that you mentioned university and your PLN network. Univeristy is a great way people can engage with and meet new people. Grow their understanding and knowledge by connecting with a diverse range of people. And the university is the place for that.

thanks,
    Asha

2. zimengl

Hi Yiyan,

I really like your understanding of PLN’s inclusiveness. PLN includes users from all over the world. Different races, countries and ages are not limited to sharing and communication. At the same time, inclusiveness makes diversity. In addition to learning knowledge in PLN, it is also a platform advocates a healthier lifestyle. For example, you can join a learning interest group, make good mentors, and actively participate in social volunteer activities, all of which demonstrate the diversity of PLN.